LOS ANGELES COUNTY DEPUTY PROBATION OFFICERS UNION
Probation Officers: The Heart of Los Angeles County
15th Annual Scholarship & Awards Banquet
Honoring Public Safety Officers, Community Leaders, and Students
The Los Angeles County Deputy Probation Officers' Union, AFSCME, Local 685, is proud to present the15th Annual Scholarship and Awards Banquet on Friday, July 14, 2017. The event will salute Deputy Probation Officers, our brother and sisters in law enforcement, and all other public service employees, and labor and community leaders and will provide scholarships for college-bound students.
Friday, August 10, 2018
Cocktail Reception ~ 6:00 PM
Dinner ~ 7:00 PM
Sheraton Universal Hotel
333 Universal Hollywood Dr., Universal City, CA 91608
Advance member tickets: $40.00 (includes member +1 guest).
After July 1, 2018, member ticket prices will increase, so take advantage of our advance prices as this event always sells out!
All non-member tickets are $100.00 (except member’s guest).
All guests will pay for their own parking at the hotel.
CALL FOR NOMINATIONS
AFSCME Local 685 is currently accepting nominations, which must include the, nominee's name, the award category (below), and a narrative statement not to exceed 250 words.
Nominations (and checks to attend) can be mailed to:
LA County Deputy Probation Officers' Union
3701 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 510
Los Angeles, CA 90010
Or e-mailed to:
All nominations must be received by June 22, 2018, at 5:00 PM. No late submissions will be accepted.
2018 AWARD CATEGORIES
RAY MARIN ACTIVIST AWARD
- Awarded to a deputy probation officer whose activism is a great asset to Local 685 and it's members.
JOHN SEFERIAN AWARD
- Awarded to the steward who demonstrates the highest level of commitment to the members.
CLYDE LONGMIRE AWARD
- Awarded to an unsung hero who is instrumental in serving the law enforcement community.
WILLIAM SIAS AWARD
- Awarded to the individual who demonstrates the highest level of dedication arid leadership, and enhances public safety and the community.
ARNOLD GARCIA AWARD
- Awarded to a deputy probation officer who dedicates his/her life to serving at-risk kids.
MIGUEL CONTRERAS AWARD
- Awarded to a labor leader in recognition of his/her selfless dedication and tireless commitment to working families.
JAMES LEWIS MEDAL OF VALOR
- Awarded to safety and law enforcement officers who serve heroically beyond the call of duty.
ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
- Awarded to a new (less than 4 years) deputy probation officer with exceptional leadership qualities.
EDUCATOR OF THE YEAR
- Awarded to a teacher who demonstrates the highest level of commitment, leadership, and service.
SUE CLINE HEART OF A LIONESS SCHOLARSHIP
- Awarded to be given to a young adult who displays contributions to the community similar to a chief steward at a union.
HENRY FIERING SCHOLARSHIP
- Honors a student who demonstrates strong leadership qualities, commitment to service, and the dedicated pursuit of a college education.
PAUL HIGA SCHOLARSHIP
- Honors an at-risk student who demonstrates strong leadership qualities, exceptional character, and the dedicated pursuit of a college education.
MARY RIDGWAY SCHOLARSHIP
- Honors a young woman who demonstrates strength of character, wisdom, and a willingness to serve her community through continuing education.
LEGISLATIVE LEADERSHIP AWARD
- Awarded to the legislator who demonstrates the highest support for rank and file law enforcement personnel.
BUSINESS FOUNDATION AWARD
- Awarded to a member of the business community for tireless support of the law enforcement community.
LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
- Awarded to an individual who demonstrates the highest level of dedication and support for AFSCME Local 685, law enforcement, and the community that we serve.