2023 Local 685 Scholarship Winners
AFSCME Local 685 would like to announce our 2023 Scholarship Winners to help students and families plan and pay for college with this scholarship. To each of our winners, we have organized these scholarships for the children of members seeking higher education. AFSCME Local 685 cares about expanding access to higher education, and the Executive Board hopes that these scholarships will make a tangible difference in students’ lives. Congratulations!
SUE CLINE HEART OF A LIONESS SCHOLARSHIP
Awarded to be given to a young adult who displays contributions to the community like a chief steward at a union.
· Angelica Johnson – University of La Verne
· Madison Purnell – San Jose State University
· Evan Rosado – Camden County College in partnership with Drexel University
· Katelyn Murrieta – California State University of Northridge
HENRY FIERING SCHOLARSHIP
Honors a student who demonstrates strong leadership qualities, commitment to service, and the dedicated pursuit of a college education.
· Sy Hanley – Southern A&M, Louisiana
· Bryce Griffin – California State University Fullerton
· Jorge Carlos – California State University Fullerton
PAUL HIGA SCHOLARSHIP
Honors an at-risk student who demonstrates strong leadership qualities, exceptional character, and the dedicated pursuit of a college education.
· Luis Estrada – Antelope Valley College
· Jasmine Melendez – California State University at Los Angeles
MARY RIDGWAY SCHOLARSHIP
Honors a young woman who demonstrates strength of character, wisdom, and a willingness to serve her community through continuing education.
· Alexis Rangel – Chico State University
· Sariah Jackson – UC San Diego or Cal State Long Beach
· Monica Ortega – Central State University
· Lelani Coleman – East Tennessee State University
· Autumn Troy – Grambling State University